Well... I have made it with my prayer journal every day except one. It was a matter of time running out in the day. That happens all too frequently, I think, and is one of the things I hope the prayer journal will help me correct. We must make time for certain things in our life and make them a priority to ensure they happen. We leave too much to chance and the schedules of others.
Now, I have friends who will do the 'get up half an hour early and do the prayer journal' thing and I applaud them for that. I, however, am not a morning person. What seems to have worked best for me, so far, is doing my journal right after lunch -- when my head is clear from the clutter of the day and my mind has spent an hour focusing on scripture and sermons and stuff. (I do lots of prep for Sunday reading while I'm at lunch.)
I missed the day I didn't journal and will try not to let that happen again.
I am learning that within these written prayers, I am using many more 'names of God' than I ever use in Sunday morning worship time prayer. God, Father, Abba, Da... all things I don't usually use. Not sure what that's about, but it feels right and it feels good. Makes me think I need more study on the names of God.
It's a wonderful exercise and I'm enjoying it.... and with a true commitment to this month of journaling, I believe it will become a regular and integral part of each and every day.
Grace and peace to you all..... Dawn
D....look forward to your blog....keep them coming....God has given me the opportunity to share the journaling with other....hopefully this will him them as much as it has helped me....I find myself having more of conversation with God...having long random thoughts....drawing, allowing the pencil to be my prayer tool....I really don't know how much would be considered prayer as more of random drawings and thoughts.....but I realized that there is no right or wrong in journaling....it is time spent with God...just you and Him...and for this I look forward to each day....V
ReplyDeleteMusic can be prayer.... art can be prayer.... fabric can be prayer.... trees blowing in the wind can be prayer... that pencil can be prayer, too. We all need to be open to all the things that are prayer. I remember doing the photos for my book and it all felt like prayer.
ReplyDelete